In 1653, Europeans tried to settle here but were chased away after a few years by the resident Native Americans. They returned in 1719 calling the town Arundel. The name was changed to Kennebunkport in 1821, from the Abenaki or Mi’kmaq word meaning “long sandbar.” Early on it was known for shipbuilding and trade along the Kennebunk River, and then became a fishing village. A part of Kennebunkport, Cape Porpoise is still an authentic lobster fishing harbor. The most renowned resident would have to have been the 41st U.S. President George H.W. Bush, whose compound was considered his summer White House, also used by his son, the 43rd U.S. President George W. Bush. The area is a popular year-round tourist destination with super shopping, fantastic food and inspiring scenery.
500 Piece Puzzle